Being a hospice volunteer can provide a way to give back to others that not only helps the hospice patients and their families, but can also be an intensely spiritual, fullfilling and gratifying experience for the volunteer.
In addition to its paid staff, hospice relies on the caring, compassionate services of a large group of trained and dedicated volunteers. These volunteers often develop a special relationship with a patient and family. Some volunteers work directly with patients and their families, while others work in the office or on special projects.
How Much Time Does a Hospice Volunteer Have to Give?
You can volunteer as much or as little as you wish. We will accommodate your schedule and availability.
What Kind of Training Does a Hospice Volunteer Receive?
Volunteers receive training to prepare them for the volunteer acitvity of their choice; equipping them to meet the challenges and rewards to have a unique experience. Hospice volunteers go through an orientation to explain hospice care and HPC's hospice philosophy, what is expected of you in your volunteer role, and how to handle situations that may arise in your volunteer experience. You will meet our staff and understand how our team works together for the patient and family.
Who Can Be a Hospice Volunteer?
Anyone who is caring, compassionate, and committed to making a difference in the life of a hospice patient.
How Important is it to Be a Hospice Volunteer?
The importance of volunteers to our hospice program cannot be overstated. Without volunteers we could not provide the scope of services that are needed to enhance the quality of the lives of our patients and their families. The following are requirements for our volunteers:
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Maintain current driver's license and current insurance on the automobile they use during the scope of their volunteer service hours.
- Meet all health and safety standards for our agency, including TB testing (paid for by HPC) and education about blood borne pathogens and Hepatitis B vaccine options.
- Submit to and successfully pass all background checks.
- Complete all training sessions as required.
- Sign a statement ensuring that they read and understand our confidentiality and other policies.